Pages

Friday, August 14, 2020

๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ’•Maramataka-Traditional lunar calendar ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜‡

 ๐Ÿ˜We are learning to use the ancient traditional lunar calendar.๐Ÿ˜

We learned that Maori stopped using the lunar calendar and instead started to use the Gregorian sun calendar when Europeans came to NZ. Maori translated the days of the week to their own language and used the sounds of the days to name them. Example: Monday = Mone. 

In 1990 the days of the week were changed once more to symbolise what the days meant. Example: Monday means moonday - Rahina means sun - moon.

๐ŸŒ™This is my picture of the moon phases ๐ŸŒ™

This is my mind map of the video I was watching about maramataka. I was really interested and I had lots of key ideas about maramataka. Thought flow:'I thought it was really interesting how Tuesday is associated with the roman god of war and mars.

1 comment:

  1. Hi manaia,
    i like your maramataka drawing and i like how it explains the moon phases.Your mind map is very colourful so is your moon phases drawing!Did you enjoy making those posters?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a positive, thoughtful and helpful comment.